Friday, January 2, 2009

My first day in DC



Today, the day started with shopping. I had been a little homesick since I landed last night, but once I was in the mall I felt right at home. Shopping can fix anything. There was a bunch of stuff me and the other interns needed to get that we couldn't pack, so we spend the majority of the day chasing those things around. It was my first time on the metro, which was pretty neat. I even took a picture of the tunnel, and then had to ride it many, many more times.





Now we get to the good part. After a long day of running around we got to go see some of the good stuff! We saw the Washington Monument, World War II Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial, all at night. They were all breathtaking and bright white against the sky. Seeing them at night for the first time was awesome.







I didn't start crying until we got the the WWII Memorial, but it was hopeless at that point. It is a very beautiful place. There are powerful quotes at the end of the walkways and lots of pieces around the outside depicting parts of the war. It was very cool to see the memorial for an event I have such a fascination for. It made my respect for the men and women who took part even stronger. I could have sat and looked at it forever, but my butt got cold and no one else wanted to wait for me.


The Lincoln Memorial was also very cool. There is a very quiet and respectful atmosphere there. Not only is his statue very impressive and deserving of respect, but there are two speeches on the wall; the Gettysburg address and an Inaugural speech. Reading them in the presence of the giant Lincoln made their message even more powerful.
Washington DC is awesome! I can't wait to see the other things on my list. Good thing I have 4 months to do it all, because the list is quite long. Which means this blog might be quite long and full of my exciting DC life. :)


























1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous that you are going to all of these museums. Can I just maybe drop out of school (just this semester) and live in your closet. ok miss your face imho. have a good day. imho.

    ReplyDelete